was born in England,September 24, 1819, but his boyhood was spent in France. At the age of eighteen he came to the United States, and settled in Maine, where he followed the trade of pump and blockmaker. In 1851 he struck out for California, and resided for several years at Grass Valley, and subsequently at Dun Glen, Nevada. In 1868, he came to Silver City, making it his home, and was for several years engaged in the furniture and undertaking business in partnership with W. H. Townsend.He departed this life May 29, 1895, after a lingering illness, and was buried at Silver City. Was a member of the Masonic and I.O.O.F. fraternities, Knight Templar commandery, Champion Red Cross, Temple of Honor and Sons of Temperance.
was horn in Frederick, Maryland, October 19, 1838. Left home in 1856, and went to Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, where he obtained employment as a barber, and remained there until 1859, when, with one Mr. Alden,he went to St. Joe, Missouri, and took charge of the barber shop connected with the Patee house. When the war broke out he went to Denver and opened up a barber shop there. In the spring of 1862 he left Denver, bound for the Salmon River diggings, crossing the plains with an ox team, the trip being a perilous one, the outfit being attacked by Indians on several occasions. On reaching Idaho, the Salmon River excitement having abated, hemade his way to Auburn, Oregon, and from there he went to Boise basin, where he spent the summer of 1863. Returned to Auburn, Oregon, and from there struck out for Owyhee County, arriving at Ruby City in April, 1864. He opened a barber shop there, and in the fall moved to Silver City, being one of the first to erect a building there. Continued in business at Silver City until 1880, when he went to Wood River and opened a shop, remaining there until 1890, when he returned to Owyhee county and opened a shop at De Lamar, continuing there until a year ago, when he engaged in business at Dewey,where he is at present located. Mr. Walker has large real estate holdings in Silver City, De Lamar and Dewey, and has unbounded faith in the future of Owyhee county.
was born in London, Canada, March 7, 1840. He passed his youth on his father’s farm at London, Canada, and at the age of twenty went to Mayfield, California, where for three years. He managed the racing farm of his uncle. He then left for Virginia City, Nevada, where he secured a position in a quartz mill, and in 1866 he located in Owyhee County, Idaho,and for about two years was engaged in sheep—raising. He then entered the Golden Chariot Mine, at Fairview, Idaho, where he soon assumed the foremanship, holding that position until the close-down, ten years later.
In 1874 he was married to Miss Matilda Umber, of Fairview, and, in 1881, accompanied by his family, he left for Richmond basin, near Globe City, Arizona, where he took charge of the McMorris mine, holding same until its close-down, three years later. He then returned to Idaho and purchased a farm on Sinker creek, but was offered the superintendency of the Gloster Mine, at Helena, Montana, which he accepted, and managed the same until it was closed down, seven years later. He also had charge of the Wickes and Spotted Horse mines, near Helena, and declined a lucrative position at Chattanooga, Tennessee, on account of ill health. He returned with his family to his farm on Sinker creek, and was shortly afterward stricken with paralysis. In this condition was removed to Boise, where, after a lingering illness of three years, he expired January 5, 1895, leaving a widow and four sons and daughters.
Mr. West was recognized as a mining expert of marked ability, and during his mining experience of many years experted and developed many mines of wonderful richness. Was a member of the Masonic fraternity, of the rank of Knight Templar, and an honest man, honored and respected by a wide circle of friends and acquaintances.