was born in California in 1857, and came to Idaho with his parents in 1864, first locating at Boise. He came to Silver City in 1871, and followed engineering for about fifteen years, running some of the largest hoists in the camp. In 1893 he purchased the Silver City & DeLamar stage line, and in January, 1894, in partnership with Mr. J. C. Brown, bought out the DeLamar Livery Company, and in October, 1895, they also purchased the Owyhee livery stables, of Silver City. In October, 1896, they sold the De Lamar livery stable and the stage line to Messrs. Scott, McCain and Forney,retaining the Silver City business, which is conducted in a metropolitan manner. In 1896 they purchased the big Palmer ranch, in Pleasant valley, having about 800 acres under fence, and cutting fully 300 tons of hay the past season. They have an abundance of pasturage for their surplus livery stock, etc. Mr. Sampson represented Owyhee County in the 1888 session of the legislature. He is a member of the Masonic and K 0 P societies.
Mr. Scales was married in 1879. He has served Owyhee County as commissioner for three terms.
was born in Rhein Provinz, Preussen, Dec 13, 1822. At an early age he followed the sea, and on May 6, 1854, landed at San Francisco, and coasted until 1855, when he followed in the wake of the “Kern-river excitement.” On his return was farming in Santa Clara valley, California, and then was placer mining in Klammath county, and other prominent diggings in Oregon, until the spring of 1862, when he purchased a pack train at Yreka, and struck out from Umatilla for Idaho City. In 1866 he arrived at Silver city, disposed of his pack train, and purchased an interest in the mercantile firm of Henry Myers & Co. In 1868 he retired from business and subsequently took a ranch at Reynolds creek for an indebtedness, and hassince resided there, engaged in ranching and stock raising.
was born in Montgomery County, Ohio, September 29, 1835. In 1858 he handled the ribbons for the old Butterfield Overland Stage Company, running from St. Louis, Missouri, to San Diego, California; and subsequently drove the stage from Virginia City, Nevada, to Austin, Nevada, until the completion of the Central Pacific railroad. He then held the box-seat for the Woodruff & Ennor line, running between Palisades, Nevada, and Eureka, Nevada, until 1874, when he came to Idaho and drove stage for the Northwest stage line, running between Silver City and Boise City. Retired from stage driving in April, 1877, and opened his well-known resort, Share’s stage house, where the old veteran’s genial features are familiar to all those who have the good fortune to patronize his hostelry.
On June 24, 1875, he was married to Miss Diadama Harriet Dryden, daughter of Father Dryden,and the happy couple celebrated their china wedding on June 24, 1895, at which time it was the heartfelt wish of every participant that the genial host and hostess should live to enjoy their golden wedding. Mr. Share was county commissioner forthe term of 1887-8.
was born in Linn County, Missouri, February 11, 1851, and in 1864 crossed the plains in a prairie schooner, with her father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. W. W. Dryden, the family settling in Middleton, Idaho, until 1869, when they moved to Reynolds creek, where have since resided. She is the wife of Charles E. Share, and was united to him June 24, 1875, and celebrated her china wedding June 24, 1895, amidst the felicitations and congratulations of her many friends, who unanimously wished her the happiness of witnessing her golden wedding.
was born in Meddybemps, Washington county, Maine, on November 21, 1842. Left for California in 1863, arriving there in November of that year, and came to Silver City, Idaho, in October, 1865. On the sixth day of November he secured employment with the Cosmos Company, grading for its mill building, and continued work with that company until the summer of 1868. The erection of the Cosmos mill is without precedent in Owyhee mill building. Ground was broken for the same on November 6, 1865, at which time not a stick of timber or a piece of machinery was upon the ground, but the ten-stamp mill was completed and the engine started on February 14, 1866, just one hundred and one days, and that in the dead of an Owyhee winter. In 1868, Mr. Smith bought a half interest in F. Brainard Pleasant valley ranch. In November, 1871, he went back to New England on a visit, and was married at Machias, Maine, on May 19, 1872, to Miss E. Edgecomb, of that city, returning to Pleasant valley in July.
Sold out the ranch in September, 1874, to Mr. John Catlow, and returned to Silver City, where he purchased the Charles Leonard Drugstore, which business he conducted continuously until November, 1889, when he disposed of the same to M. Oberdorfer. Mr. Smith was appointed postmaster in 1888, but resigned in favor of Mr. Oberdorfer when he sold his drug store. On December 1, 1889, he purchased the Idaho Hotel from Mr. T. Regan, and has since conducted this excellent hostelry. In 1892 Mr. Smith was nominated by the republican party for county treasurer, and his popularity was such that his nomination was endorsed the democrats, and he was elected without opposition.In 1894 he was re-elected in the same manner, and in 1896 refused to allow his name to go into the convention. Mr. Smith’s wife died July 25, 1875. On March 21, 1877, he was married to Mrs. M. E. Wilson, the present hostess at the Idaho. Mr. Smith is interested in numerous mining enterprises, and owns a one-third interest in the Scales tailing-mill business at Wagontown. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. fraternity.
was born in Hanover, Germany, April 18, 1828. Emigrated to the United States and settled at Independence, Missouri,in 1847. In 1852 he went to Albany, Oregon, and three years later took up his residence at Shasta Valley, California. Came to Silver City in 1864, and established himself in business, bringing his family here the following year. Mr. Sommercamp was prominent in the early placer mining of Owyhee, in and about old Ruby City, and constructed one of the big Florida Mountain ditches, with extensive flumes, for conveying water upon his ground. He was a good businessman, enterprising in all matters of a public nature, and generous to a fault. At the time the War Eagle mines closed down, owing business men and employees large sums of money, Mr. Sommercamp headed the subscription paper for the relief of destitute miners and their families and was always foremost in works of charity. For a number of years prior to his death he had large cattle and horse interests, and a well- improved ranch on Squaw creek. He was also largely interested in mining, having a large group of valuable claims on De Lamar Mountain, and the Potosi property in Silver City. The former group was afterwards purchased by the De Lamar Company. After a long life of usefulness, in which he had accumulated a fair fortune, Mr. Sommercampmet with a violent death. He was at his De Lamar Mines, making some measurements near the St. Clair shaft, and tripped and fell into the shaft. The shaft was not deep, but he evidently struck some timbers, and was dead when reached. His death, which occurred on August 7, 1890, was universally regretted, and the funeral, under the auspices of the I.O.O.F., fraternity, was one of thelargest ever held in Owyhee. His wife, three sons and one daughter now reside in Weiser, this state.
was born in Schuyler County, New York, February 25, 1827. He left home for California in 1859, and located at Sacramento. From there went to Red Bluff, where he engaged in mercantile business until 1863, when he went to Lewiston, Idaho, and was a member of the first territorial legislature of Idaho. In the spring of 1864 he was appointed by the governor of the territory, sheriff of Owyhee County, and was subsequently, at the first election held in the county, elected to that position, which he held one year. He died at North Powder, Oregon, March 22, 1897.
was born in Ross County, Ohio, July 29, 1829. In 1847 his family moved to Iowa, where his father died; and in 1850 he crossed the plains for California, with an ox team, arriving at Nevada City September 19, 1850. Mined there and in other localities until 1863, when he went to Humboldt County, Nevada. From there he struck out for the Owyhee mines, reaching there in June, 1864, and was one of the volunteers of the Jordan party, who routed the Indians in the Owyhee canyon in July, 1864, in which engagement Jordan and Carroll were killed. He mined in Oro Fino, Poorman and other prominent mines in the early days, and was also engaged in prospecting on his own account. In 1868 was elected sheriff of Owyhee County,and re-elected in 1870. Was married to Harriet A. Fell on October 7, 1868. They have one daughter, Mrs. E. L. Ballard of Silver City. In 1875 Mr. Stevens located at Flint, and engaged in the stock business which he still follows. Was elected and served as county commissioner for the 1881—2 term. Mr. Stevens is a Masonic member.
was born in Jefferson County, Indiana, December 14, 1828.Moved to Iowa in 1850, and crossed the plains for California in 1854. Arrived at Silver City in 1865, and, as he himself aptly remarks, “has never been out of the sight of old War Eagle mountain since.” For over thirty years has been engaged in the blacksmith and wagon-building business in Owyhee County, being at present located at Guffey, this county.
was born in Zurich, Switzerland, in 1839. While farming in Illinois in 1859, he made the acquaintance of Jacob Dellenbach, and, at the breaking out of the Pike’s Peak excitement, they struck out for that place, crossing the plains with an ox team. Meeting with disappointment at Pike’s Peak, they continued on to California, and located at Weaverville, where they engaged in placer mining. In 1865, together they came to Silver City, and took up a wood ranch until the summer of 1868, when, in partnership with Joseph C. Grossand Frank Schuster, they became the owners of theBlue Gulch gravel claim on Florida Mountain. At the “Indianout break” in June, 1878, Mr. Studer was one of the first to volunteer his services, and at the disastrous engagement at South Mountain, on June 8, 1878, nobly gave up his life in defense of the hearths and homes of Owyhee county.
He was a worthy member of the I. 0. 0.F., and his funeral, which took place June 10, 1878, at Silver City, under the auspices of the I. 0. 0. F., was one of the largest witnessed in this locality, citizens and strangers to the numberof several hundred participating in the sad demonstration. Mr. Studer was a plain, unassuming man, and held in high esteem by all his acquaintances.