was born in Norway, and came to Placerville, Boise County, in 1870, coming to Owyhee County in 1872, where he has since resided. Mr. Mikkelson has followed prospecting and mining during his long residence in this county, and recently sold the “South Central” and “Christiania” mines on War Eagle mountain (which he owned jointly with his mining partner, Steve McElmeel), to an English company, known as the South Central & Christiania Syndicate, Ltd. The property in valuable, being a south extension of the old “Illinois Central, and, while not prospected to any great extent, has thus far more than paid all expenditures made for development. Mr. Mikkelson also owns various claims in different sections of this district, prominent among which are those of Cow creek.
was born in New Jersey in 1840, and died at his home in Wagontown on November 4, 1896, of heart failure. Mr. Mills was the first assessor of Owyhee County, and always took an active interest in the political affairs of the state and nation. He was married in Silver City on July 29, 1867, to Miss Catherine Boehmer, and nine children, all living, blessed the union, as follows: Mrs. Ida Fry, Mrs. Mary Coburn, Mrs. Rose Bowen, Mrs. Grace Sommerville, Miss Dora, and Messrs. Alonzo, Benjamin, Timothy and James Mills. Mr. Mills was a man of humorous temperament, and a fluent writer; and, under the non deplume of “Malheur,” published many interesting narratives. He located upon a ranch at Trout creek in 1880, but in the early ‘90s purchased the old stagestation at Wagontown, where the widow and younger children still reside.
was born in Truro, Cornwall, England, March 9, 1847, but emigrated from there with his parents, a baby in arms, to America, locating at Chicago, Illinois,and subsequently at Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
In 1864, at the age of seventeen, he struck out for Owyhee County, and arrived at Silver City in August of that year. He mined at Fairview, War Eagle mountain, until 1870, when he engaged in stock raising and farming,and also was in the livery-stable business at Silver City in 1880. In 1881 he located at Bruneau valley, and from 1887 to 1893 was in the livery business at Mountain Home. In 1893 he returned to Bruneau valley, and again engaged in ranching and general merchandising, and is now of the well-known firm of Mitchell & Baltzer, of that place. Mr. Mitchell is a member of the A. F. & A. M., and was county commissioner in 1882—4.